We’ve updated this classic bar food with an oil-free breading for a bite that is crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside and perfect for summer snacking.
Mmmm pickles… what’s not to love? They are salty, crunchy and refreshing. The only thing that can make them even better is battering and frying them up. Don’t get us wrong – we looove a good fried pickle. But sometimes, we want the joy of the breaded pickle without the grease and heavy feeling that comes after eating it.
Enter – the baked pickle chip. This snack is baked not fried, oil free, and still has that browned crispy crust we love to munch on. Try it as a standalone snack, or whip them up as a side for your burger. They’re great any time of day.
The Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg we use for these really helps get that thick doughy coating, but if you can’t find it where you are, you could replace it with non-dairy milk or a flax egg. Just know that the breading will be a bit thinner in the end.
We love dipping these in our Five Minute Thousand Island or Five Minute Ranch, but they also pair great with some good old fashioned ketchup or vegan mayo.
- 3-5 large dill pickles
- ½ cup AP flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg
- ½ cup ice water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice pickles into chips, then pat dry with a towel to remove excess moisture.
- To prepare the breadcrumbs, whisk together bread crumbs, smoked paprika, garlic powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- To prepare the vegan egg, slowly whisk ice water into the vegan egg powder until a thick eggy texture forms. This may take a little bit of whisking to get all the lumps out, and it may take less than or more than the half cup of ice water.
- Get your three bowls ready (flour, vegan egg, seasoned bread crumbs). Also get a parchment lined baking sheet ready nearby.
- To bread the pickles, drop them into the flour bowl, turning to coat. Then drop them into the vegan egg, turning to coat. Lastly, drop them in the seasoned bread crumbs, shaking the bowl to coat them. Place finished pickle slices onto the parchment lined baking sheet, leaving space between them. Repeat until all are breaded.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 mins, then flip them and bake for another 5 mins, keeping a close eye to make sure they don't burn. When they are lightly browned on both sides, they are ready.
- Serve immediately with thousand island dressing or any other dipping sauce you enjoy!
Leave a Reply