In honor of reaching over 100 SUBSCRIBERS on our channel, we show you that vegan baking can be a piece of cake.
Vegan baking can be intimidating because it means unlearning that which you once believed to be fact (you must put eggs in everything, there is no substitute for butter) and learning new and creative ways to approach an age old human tradition.
This process can be exciting, fun and rewarding.
But sometimes I just want to whip up some Funfetti cupcakes. Just like the old days. And I don’t FEEL like making them from scratch. Not today.
Aha! That’s where this VEGAN HACK comes in.
Turns out you can grab a box of good old fashioned cake mix and using a few simple substitutions, whip up a batch of vegan cupcakes in no time at all. Mix in some sprinkles and it’s Funfetti city. Now that’s what I’m talking about.
With all that time saved, it’s easy to whip up some Simple Vanilla Frosting to top them off.
We cheers this Funfetti cupcake to YOU – THANK YOU THANK YOU for putting us over the 100 SUBSCRIBER mark on YouTube.
CLICK the videos above to WATCH and LEARN these recipes.
Note: You can use any brand of egg replacer, but we like Ener-G Egg Replacer. Just read the instructions on the box for correct substitution amounts. We also recommend Earth Balance Vegan Shortening.
- ***For the Cupcakes:
- 1 Box of Vanilla Cake Mix (check ingredients to make sure it doesn’t already contain eggs or dairy)
- 3 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer + ¼ cup water
- 1 ¼ cups Non-Dairy Milk
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- ⅓ cup Rainbow Sprinkles
- ***For the Frosting:
- 1 stick (¼ cup) of non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening (such as Earth Balance)
- 1 ½ cups of powdered sugar
- ½ tsp of Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup of non-dairy milk (you won’t use all of it)
- *Read the back of your cake mix box for specific directions and amounts.*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare egg replacer by mixing 1.5 teaspoons of powder with 2 tablespoons of water for each egg you want to replace. Whisk until frothy and thick.
- In a large bowl, combine prepared egg replacer, non-dairy milk and vegetable oil, whisking to combine. Add in Cake Mix and stir with a spatula until smooth.
- Stir sprinkles into the batter.
- Use a ladle to distribute into cupcake liners.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool for twenty minutes before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat shortening in a stand mixer for a few minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar, using a spatula to help it all get mixed in. It’s okay if it looks crumbly at this point. Add in Vanilla, then add in non-dairy milk, one tablespoon at a time until the frosting reaches your desired consistency (around 5 or 6 tablespoons should do the trick, but it may vary).
- Frost cupcakes and sprinkle the tops with more sprinkles or even mix the sprinkles into the frosting if you want to get crazy with it.
- Party time!
Leave a Reply