Lasagna gets a bad rap, but a few simple updates transform this traditionally heavy dish into a healthy satisfying meal.
You can eat a ton of this lasagna and still feel totally good about yourself. That’s what winter’s all about, right?
CLICK the video above to WATCH and LEARN this recipe.
Eggplant Zuke Lasagna with Basil Cashew Ricotta
A noodle-free lasagna with homemade cashew ricotta and a spicy mushroom filling.
Author: The Vegan Video Pantry
- 1 ½ cups tomato sauce
- 1 eggplant, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 small zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- ***For the Basil Cashew Ricotta:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups packed fresh basil, stems removed
- 3 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ***For the Mushroom Filling:
- 4 oz or about 8 medium sized crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 oz or about 6 shiitake mushrooms; caps sliced, stems removed and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup shredded Daiya mozzarella
- Lay eggplant and zucchini slices on a parchment lined baking sheet, then drizzle with olive oil and salt. Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes, until tender.
- To make the basil cashew ricotta, combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until all of the major chunks are removed, but it’s not completely smooth.
- To make the mushroom filling, heat olive oil in a cast iron pan, then add red pepper flakes, minced shiitake stems and garlic. Let those soften for a minute or two, then add in shiitake caps, crimini mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Saute until all the liquids have been removed and mushrooms are tender and browned.
- Assemble the lasagna in a standard sized baking dish however you’d like. As an example, we used a 10 x 7 inch ceramic dish, which yielded three of each layer (eggplant or zucchini noodles, cheese, mushrooms, sauce, repeat). Any standard sized baking dish will work.
- If you want a crusty and/or cheesy topping, sprinkle the top layer with breadcrumbs and/or daiya mozzarella.
- Bake at 375 for 25-35 minutes, until it’s warmed all the way through and browned on top.
Looks SO good!!! WANT NOW.