This elegant meal is a breeze to throw together and works great as either a cold summer dish or a warming wintertime one.
Vegan pesto is so easy to make and so much better than the jarred stuff (DUH).
Pesto – Hold the Cheese!
- 1 package dried soba noodles (usually about 12 oz)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 oz shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 6 oz crimini mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup sliced sugar snap peas
- ½ cup homemade pesto
- fresh basil and toasted pine nuts (reserved from pesto) for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salty water to a boil. Drop in soba noodles, using a pair of tongs to separate them in the water. Let cook for five minutes, then drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add pesto to noodles, combine, set aside.
- Drizzle olive oil into a large pan over medium heat. Add minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir for a minute to toast the pepper flakes and bring out the flavor.
- Add in shitakes, followed by crimini mushrooms and stir until they start to reduce down and soak up the oil, a few minutes. Add in sugar snap peas and cook for one more minute, letting the pea retain their crunch a little, then remove from heat.
- Plate the noodles onto each dish, then top with the spicy mushroom mixture and garnish with basil and pine nuts.