As the countdown to Thanksgiving begins, we bring you one of our favorite simple sides – veganized!
Everybody knows that Thanksgiving is all about the sides. Although a lot of them are traditionally made with animal products, all it takes are a few simple tweaks to veganize them.
We love this mashed potato recipe because it’s bursting with roasted garlic goodness and it’s creamy and buttery without being super heavy. Serve them with our basic mushroom gravy or enjoy them simply with a shmear of vegan butter and a sprinkling of chopped chives.
- 1 head of garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large russet potatoes
- ¼ cup of Earth Balance vegan butter
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make a pouch out of a piece of tinfoil and place peeled garlic cloves inside. Drizzle with olive oil and close pouch. Roast at 425 for 30 minutes.
- Chop potatoes into 1-inch chunks (this helps them cook faster). Leave the skins on! Place in a medium sized pot of salty boiling water and let boil for 15 minutes, until you can poke a sharp knife into a piece and the potato slides off easily.
- Drain the water and return potatoes to the pot. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes (you can also use a fork, but it will take longer) until you get a crumby texture. Mix in vegan butter.
- Add in vegetable broth a little at a time until potatoes make a sort of dough-like texture. Add in roasted garlic cloves and mash. Mix in salt and pepper to taste.