This Halloween, fill your home with the warming aromas of roasted fall vegetables, while filling your tummy with this rich and earthy soup that is sure to satisfy your annual pumpkin obsession.
Roasted Pumpkin Soup with Shiitakes and Shallots
Author: The Vegan Video Pantry
- 1 2-lb sugar pumpkin
- 5 shiitake mushrooms
- 2 shallots, cut into quarters
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 5 cups of vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut the pumpkin in half, then scoop out its guts with a serrated grapefruit spoon. Cut the pumpkin into 2 inch slices.
- Place pumpkin slices, whole mushrooms, cut shallots and garlic onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, being careful not to overlap. Drizzle with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip pumpkin slices, then bake for another 15 minutes until skin is blackened and blistery.
- Let pumpkin slices cool, then peel off the skins and discard.
- Place roasted veggies all in a large pot over medium heat. Add two cups of broth, then use an immersion blender to blend until everything reaches a thick and smooth pumpkin mash. Slowly add in the remaining 3 cups of broth, blending until smooth.
This soup can keep for a few days refrigerated and tastes great reheated.
Leave a Reply