You don’t need sour cream or eggs to achieve this light and fluffy morning treat!
This is our take on Chef Chloe Coscarelli’s Raspberry Swirl Coffee Cake, from her book, “Chloe’s Vegan Desserts.”
Learn more about her incredible vegan recipes at chefchloe.com.
Berry Coffee Cake with Pecan Topping
- For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (mild vinegars like white or apple cider work best)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups of fresh berries
- For the pecan topping:
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Start with the pecan topping. Combine flour, sugar, spices and pecans in a bowl. Add canola oil and stir up with a fork until it gets all crumby-like.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Now for the dry ingredients. Whisk together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine your wet ingredients: non-dairy milk, canola oil, vinegar and vanilla.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and watch the magic happen. Stir until a batter is formed, being careful not to overmix. Then fold in your fresh berries.
- Line a pan with parchment paper or oil it up. Pour the batter into the pan, then spread it out with a spatula so it’s evenly distributed. Sprinkle the pecan mixture on top, spreading it evenly across the cake.
- Bake for 40 minutes uncovered. Then cover it with tinfoil and bake for ten more minutes.
- Let it cool a bit before serving.
Leave a Reply