This ho-hum side salad gets made-over into a classy main act dish. Bring it to a potluck and dazzle all your friends, or make a big batch and stash it in the fridge for yourself. There’s no law that you HAVE to share. Seriously, I double-checked.
Don’t let quinoa scare you! The Trick to Cooking Quinoa
- 4 cups of cooked quinoa (1 cup dry quinoa)
- 1 bunch each of roughly chopped fresh mint and parsley
- 1 small red onion, diced
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 small or one large Persian or English cucumber, diced
- 1 can of chickpeas
- the juice of half a lemon
- ½ cup of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- While the quinoa is cooking, wash and chop your veggies.
- When the quinoa’s ready, put it in a large bowl. You can add it hot or let it cool, either way is totally fine.
- Add the fresh herbs, onions and olives and mix to get those flavors spreading.
- Add in the tomatoes, cucumbers and chickpeas. Give it another stir for good measure, so that everything is evenly distributed when you season it.
- Squeeze the juice from half a lemon over a strainer to catch the seeds. Drizzle on the olive oil and sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Stir it up and you’re ready to go!