Use this tangy pesto with pasta, on pizza, in a vinaigrette or mixed in with your favorite vegan mayo for a fancy sandwich spread.
Pesto Soba Noodles with Spicy Mushrooms
Pesto Potato Salad with Arugula and Fresh Peas
Pesto - Hold the Cheese!
- a clove of garlic
- 1 cup of toasted nuts (pinenuts, walnuts, cashews all work great)
- 2 bunches of fresh basil (you can also mix and match with arugula, spinach or cilantro)
- ½ cup olive oil
- the juice from ¼ - ½ a lemon (depending how tangy you want your pesto)
- salt and pepper to taste
- up to ½ cup of some liquid (water, veggie broth, pasta water)
- To toast the nuts: heat in a dry pan, shaking regularly. After a few minutes they will start to brown and give off a heavenly aroma. Let them cool a bit before putting in the food processor.
- Add the clove of garlic and the cooled toasted nuts to the food processor. Blend until they get crumbly, but not so long that they make nut butter.
- Add in the fresh basil. Blend to pack it down, then add some more and blend it up.
- Season with the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Blend to combine. If it’s too chunky for your taste, add some liquid bit by bit until you get the consistency you want - smooth and creamy.
Leave a Reply