This creamy potato salad gets a healthy little kick in the butt from some zesty pesto and fresh veggies.
There’s NO EXCUSE not to make your own pesto when it’s so easy: Pesto – Hold the Cheese!
- 1 pound of small waxy potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup of fresh peas
- ½ cup pesto
- ¼ cup of vegan mayo
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ½ cup diced yellow pepper
- 3 or 4 handfuls of fresh arugula
- ¼ cup toasted nuts (pine nuts or walnuts or whatever’s leftover from when you made your pesto)
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Put the quartered potatoes into a large pot of cold or room temp salted water. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. (HINT: You can make your pesto while the potatoes are cooking if you didn’t make it ahead of time.)
- Once the water comes to a boil, let the potatoes boil for five minutes, then add in fresh peas. Let boil for one more minute, then remove from heat, drain, and dump into an ice bath to stop the cooking. Swish the water around to make sure all parts evenly cool.
- While that stuff is cooling, combine the pesto and vegan mayo in a large bowl. Then drain the potatoes and peas and add them to the pesto mixture. Stir to coat.
- Add in the diced red onion, the diced yellow pepper and the arugula. Mix it real good.
- Plate in a serving dish, then top with toasted nuts and fresh basil.