It’s Oktoberfest time – everyone’s favorite excuse to drink! Celebrate at home with this wunderbar sausage, peppers and onions dish.
Drunken Sausages with Peppers and Onions
Author: The Vegan Video Pantry
- 2 vegan sausages
- 2 tbsp of canola or another high heat oil
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 medium sized yellow onion
- ½ bottle of your favorite beer (we used Oktoberfest-style lager)
- Cut the sausages in half lengthwise, then into quarters. Cut the peppers and onions so that they are all about the same size as the sausage pieces.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pan. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add in the sausages and cook, stirring occasionally until they start to brown and get crispy, about five minutes.
- Use a pair of tongs to remove the sausage chunks. Don’t worry about getting all the teeny tiny crunchy bits out - we want those to stay in the pan. Set sausage pieces aside.
- Add the green peppers to the pan and stir to coat with the sausagey oil, letting them cook for a few minutes. Once they start to soften, add in the onions. Stir it all up, then continue cooking until the peppers start to blister and the onions start to brown, about five minutes.
- Pour in half a bottle of beer, then scrape the bottom of the pan to dislodge all of the crunchy bits and flavors that have built up. Let simmer for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally, until a thick sauce has formed.