When I saw prosciutto-wrapped melons in last month’s issue of Martha Stewart Living, I knew I had to figure out how to veganize this simple grilled recipe. Thanks to our new favorite seitan bacon, it turned out to be a cinch.
We made this recipe using Upton’s Naturals seitan bacon. Let us know if you find another brand that works well, too!
- ½ a ripe cantaloupe, cut into one-inch cubes
- 1 package of Upton’s Naturals seitan bacon
- bamboo skewers
- 1 lime
- Gently wrap each melon chunk with a thin slice of seitan bacon, using your finger to seal the end by pushing it into the melon juice. Stab with a skewer.
- Place skewers on a hot grill, let cook for two or three minutes until charred, then flip and repeat on the other side.
- Remove from grill and drizzle with a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Seriously, don’t skip the lime. This is what makes these morsels so special and succulent. 🙂
Even the pieces that don’t come out perfectly still taste like a dream, so don’t stress too much about keeping it pretty.