These simple cookies are bursting with late summer flavors. Now even the vegans can have their shortcake and eat it, too.
You can use store bought milk, or you can Make Your Own Almond Milk (like a boss).
Oh, and Earth Balance is our favorite vegan butter, and it’s totes easy to find in both health food and mainstream grocery stores.
Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
- 2 cups of strawberries (cut into quarters)
- 1 tbsp lemon Juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp cold Earth Balance vegan butter
- ½ - ⅔ cups cold non-dairy milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine strawberries, lemon juice, lemon zest and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Mix, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ½ a cup of sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Spoon in the cold vegan butter, then rub it into the flour mixture with your hands until it gets all combined and crumbly-like.
- Slowly add in the cold non-dairy milk, bit by bit, mixing it in so that the mixture forms a dough. *NOTE: you might not need to use all of the milk, so add it in slowly!*
- Add the strawberry mixture into the dough and stir to combine. The dough should start to turn kinda pretty in pink. 🙂
- Use an ice cream scoop to spoon out mounds of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. leaving a little space between so the cookies have room to spread out.
- Sprinkle the tops with the remaining one tablespoon of granulated sugar, then pop in the oven for 25 minutes.
- When they’re done, use a spatula to transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool so the bottoms don’t get all soggy.
These beauties are best served the same day, so whatcha waiting for? Go eat!
[…] 3. Strawberry Shortcake Cookies by Vegan Video Pantry […]